This short, self-directed course is designed for educational assistants in schools and educators in the field of early childhood education and developmental service work. It explores strategies for developing lasting partnerships with families through effective communication.
Learners will have opportunities to develop essential communication skills through contextual exercises, activities, and reflections, and will learn strategies that eliminate barriers and promote inclusive and respectful communication.
- Communication styles
- Culturally responsive communication
- Communicating with parents whose first language is not English
- Communicating with parents who may have learning differences or disabilities
- Building trust
- Encouraging parental involvement
- Empowering parents and supporting advocacy
- Setting up effective family meetings
- Documentation strategies